Tuesday, November 19, 2013

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Last night was one of those college nights that are so very important to growing as humans and enjoying our time here. I stayed up chatting with a couple friends updating each other about our lives and spending time together without doing homework. Yes, it was a late night. Due to this, I was expecting myself to be miserable today as I trudged through my classes and work load. Au contraire, I was blessed with a pleasant surprise and have been happy and smiling ever since!

We have started offering Morning Prayer in my dorm, but it has yet to catch on. So far, it is usually either just me, or I'll have one other companion. Today there were four of us that prayed the beautiful prayer together! While that may not seem significant, praying as a family is one of the most beautiful and blessed things we can do. "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them." (Matthew 18:20) This is one of those moments where Christ's teaching really came alive for me! I truly felt his presence in those praying with me, and I have kept that with me.

As a Christian community we are called to pray in three different ways - in public, in community, and in private. We need to pray in public so others can know that we do pray, and so that they may see hope as we do, "A world at prayer is a world at peace." (Father Patrick Peyton, CSC) We need to pray in private, for Jesus told us to! "But when you pray, go to your inner room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father who sees in secrete will repay you." (Mt. 6:6) Finally, we need to pray as a community or family for as Fr. Patrick Peyton, CSC said, "The family that prays together stays together. All of these types of prayer are emphasized in the Constitution of the Congregation of Holy Cross and are applicable to all of us. If you can, try to take some time out of your day to pray privately to your Father in Heaven, as well as pray with your family - be it you biological family, your school family, your parish family, or your club family. "Ask and it will be given to you." (Mt. 7:7)

Ave Crux, Spes Unica

No comments:

Post a Comment